Friday, 12 October 2007

Unfashionable challenge...

Firstly, apologies for the lack of posts over the last few weeks; I've had no internet connection and been busy ruining my liver while accomodating freshers at uni...

Moving on! Last night I was challenged by a friend to name 3 horses of unfashionable or unproven sires, that I thought would make up into group class runners over the 2008 season. In an attempt to keep this blog as diverse and engaging as possible I thought I would share the list with my readers. You are welcome to take up the challenge too, just drop a comment on the post!

I have been taken by quite a few of the Nayef progeny that have met the track. So it's logical that I have one of his daughters in Spacious on the list. Already a Group 2 winner and unbeaten to date it seems logical she's going to make an even better 3 year old. Furthermore, all the information I have seen or heard suggests that the filly wants more time and is far from the finished article. However, a quote of 14/1 for the 1000 Guineas looks short on what she has beaten and I am inclined to think she might fall between two stalls when it comes to the distance of the English classics.

Next on the list is a filly whom I expected to at least win a pattern race this season. Shorthand comes from a family which tend to show their best form with ease in the ground. She is relatively lightly raced and a full sister to group winner Shortskirt. Hopefully she will stay in training and mature, as even after the 6 starts she still shows signs of being green.

Provincial is the last of the trio. A son of the promising first season sire Aldebaran, the colt was very impressive in winning his maiden. On pedigree he looks to want a mile or further as a 3 year old.

Think you can pick out a better 3 for the 2008 flat season?

No comments: